Thursday, October 29, 2009

"Driving for Dollars"

I just conducted an interview with Darren Dicke... a very
successful investor who wholesales houses in Columbus, Ohio.

During the interview, Darren shared with me a KIILER TIP
about how he finds and sells wholesale deals -- so simple
and brilliant -- and I wanted to share it with you today.

Darren calls this tip "Driving for Dollars".

Here's how it works...

When Darren is driving around neighborhoods in Columbus, he
looks for houses with "For Rent" signs in the front yard.

When he finds one, he pulls over, gets out his cell phone,
calls the number on the sign, and
asks the owner of the house (the landlord) these 4 simple
questions:

1. "I'm calling about the house you have for rent on
123 Birch Ave. Would you be interested in selling the
house?"

(If they answer "no", he asks...)

2. "Do you own any other houses you'd be interested in
selling?"

(If this answer is "no" to this question, he then asks...)

3. "Do you know anyone else who has houses that they may be
interested in selling?"

(If this question is also answered "no", he asks...)

4. "Are you looking to build your personal portfolio? From
time to time, I come across houses in this neighborhood.
Would you like me contact you when I know of a house that
becomes available for sale in the area?"

Approximately half of all the deals that Darren does is a
result of him asking those four questions. The first 3
questions get him seller leads, and the fourth question
allows him to add qualified names to his buyers list
(landlord buyers). If any of the first 3 questions are
answered "yes", he treats it like any other seller lead.

During my interview with Darren, I suddenly got the idea
that you could also apply this tip to houses you see
advertised for rent on Craigslist.com, in your local
newspapers, and in the Thrifty Nickel and Greensheet papers.

Just contact landlords with houses for rent and ask them the
4 questions above. You are certain to find some motivated
sellers (burned-out landlords) and some very qualified
landlord buyers (for your deals)... that can easily turn into
a big payday for you in a short period of time!

Try this tip out for yourself... and let me hear about your
success stories.

All the best,

Michael Kimble

P.S. Here's another tip: You can also automate this
process by compiling a list of phone numbers of houses for
rent in your area and then send out a recorded voice
broadcast that says something like...

"Hi, my name is [your name]. I'm calling about the house
you have for rent. I buy houses in your area. If you're
interested in selling this house or any others, please call
me. Also, from time to time, I come across houses in your
neighborhood. If you're looking to add to your personal
portfolio and want me to contact you when I find houses in
your area, also please call me. My telephone number is
555-5555. Again, that's 555-5555."

No comments: